Jay Z Buys Back Intellectual Property To Late 90’s / Early 2000s Ubran Brand Rocawear
NEW YORK — Music, fashion, and entertainment mogul Shawn Carter, also known by his stage name Jay Z has bought back the intellectual property of his fashion brand Rocawear, according to the Financial Post.
Jay-Z and Iconix Brand Group Inc have settled a series of legal disputes arising from transactions between the rapper and the clothing licensing company dating back to 2007.
In a Wednesday regulatory filing, Iconix said it agreed to sell some intellectual property assets to Jay Z’s Roc Nation LLC and membership interests in his Marcy Media Holdings LLC affiliate, in exchange for $15 million.
Iconix said both sides also agreed to drop all claims against each other, without admitting wrongdoing or unlawful conduct.
Jay Z, 49, is worth $1 billion, a fortune he built through his music, Roc Nation, the streaming service Tidal, Armand de Brignac champagne, and investments such as Uber, Forbes magazine said.
The settlement ends an April 2017 lawsuit in the federal court in Manhattan in which Iconix accused Jay-Z of infringing trademarks it acquired a decade earlier in a $204 million purchase of his Rocawear clothing brand.
It also resolves a private arbitration related to that sale, and a July 2019 lawsuit in a New York state court in Manhattan in which Jay-Z accused Iconix of fraudulently doing business with Roc Nation as part of a “colossal accounting scandal.”
Iconix has written off almost the entire value of the Rocawear brand. It said on Tuesday it took a $5.5 million charge after agreeing in principle to resolve a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission probe into its writedowns.
The arbitration drew additional attention after Jay Z complained that too few African-American arbitrators had been eligible to hear the case. He dropped his objection once enough arbitrators were found.
Iconix is based in New York, and has dozens of brands including Candie’s, Danskin, Fieldcrest, Joe Boxer, London Fog, Mossimo, Pony and Starter.
Photos Credit: Courtesy
More Content For You
- The Ball Brothers: LaMelo, Lonzo And LiAngelo Are Signing With Jay-Z’s Roc Nation
- Jay Z Photographed In A Saint Laurent Flamingo Embroidered Denim Jacket At London Heliport
- Roc Nation’s Star-Studded Pre Grammys Brunch In Beverly Hills
- Sprint Purchases 33% Stake In Jay Z’s Tidal For $200 Million; Is He On The Way To Becoming A Billionaire?
- Fat Joe Signs With Jay Z’s Roc Nation; Releases “Money Showers” Video With Remy Ma & Ty Dolla $ign
- Jay Z Signs 2-Year Overall TV & Movie Deal With The Weinstein Company
- Rita Ora Is Suing To Be Released From Jay Z’s Roc Nation
- Meek Mill Parts Ways With Jay Z’s Roc Nation Management After 10 Years
- Beyoncé And Jay-Z New Tiffany & Co. Ad Campaign Feature A Blue Basquiat Painting; Plus Bey Is The First Black Woman To Wear The Famous Tiffany Diamond
- Beyoncé, Jay Z To Front Tiffany & Co. Ad Campaigns
Donovan is the CEO and Editor-In-Chief of www.dmfashionbook.com. For all general inquiries please email email@example.com Donovan has a BA in Journalism & Media Studies from the prestigious Rutgers University. He's currently studying entertainment and fashion law.