Iconic Female Rapper Lil Kim To Receive The “I Am Hip Hop” Award At The 2019 BET Hip Hop Awards; Releases “Found You” Ft. City Girls And O.T. Genasis
UNITED STATES — Iconic female rapper Lil Kim will receive the “I Am Hip Hop” Award at the 2019 BET Hip Hop Awards on October 8th.
This honor is well deserved and long overdue, but I am glad that they’re giving Kim her flowers while she could smell them.
The Brooklyn rapper changed the landscape of hip hop, moved the culture forward and was instrumental in shaping the standard for current female rap.
She was discovered in the early 90s by the late great Notorious B.I.G. and he invited her to join his crew, Junior Mafia. She went on to pursue a solo career in 1996 and things went all the way up.
Her debut studio album Hard Core was certified Double Platinum and spawned three consecutive No. 1 rap hits: “No Time,” “Not Tonight (Ladies Night Remix),” and “Crush on You,” making Kim the first female rapper with three consecutive number-one singles on Billboard’s Rap Songs chart. Her following albums, The Notorious K.I.M. (2000) and La Bella Mafia (2003), were certified Platinum, making her one of the only female rappers to have at least three consecutive Platinum albums. She also scored a #1 Billboard Hot 100 hit with 2001’s “Lady Marmalade,” featuring Christina Aguilera, Pink, & Mýa.
The Queen Bee is gearing up to release her fifth studio album 9 this fall via Queen Bee Entertainment/Entertainment One. She just released the project’s new single, “Found You” featuring City Girls and O.T. Genasis. The twerk anthem samples Bubba Sparxxx and Ying Yang Twins’ 2005 hit “Ms. New Booty“.
Photos Credit: Courtesy of Lil Kim’s Instagram
More from my site
- Unsigned Hype: Milly Mir Releases “My Life Is A Movie”
- 20 Years Later, We Celebrate Lil’ Kim’s Debut ‘Hard Core’ Album & Take A Look At Her Most Stylish Moments
- Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop: Puff Daddy Announces Bad Boy Reunion Show At Barclays Center With Lil Kim, The Lox, Jay Z, Mary J Blige & More
- Rihanna is Headed To The City Of Light Again; Will Show Her Puma Collection At Paris Fashion Week
- Remy Ma Signs Multi-Million Deal With Columbia Records, Releasing New Single With Lil’ Kim
- Lil Kim Announces Release Date For Album ‘9,’ Releases “Pray For Me” Featuring Rick Ross And Musiq Soulchild
Donovan is the CEO and Editor-In-Chief of www.dmfashionbook.com. For all general inquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org Donovan has a BA in Journalism & Media Studies from the prestigious Rutgers University. He's currently studying entertainment and fashion law.